The American University in Cairo
AUC Avenue، Cairo Governorate 11835
GMIS Connect Cairo aims at gathering policymakers, private sector representatives, academia and R&D centers, and civil society representatives to discuss and explore the innovative potential of Industry 4.0 for Egypt. The country vision for 2030 aims to provide Egypt with a competitive, balanced and diversified economy that builds on innovation and knowledge. The new strategy intends to contribute to the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and achieve the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Partners: American University in Cairo
Date: 21 March 2019
Venue: American University in Cairo
Representative from the American University in Cairo (TBC)
Namir Hourani, Managing Director and Member of the Organising Committee, Global Manufacturing and Industrialisation Summit (GMIS)
Giovanna Ceglie, Director and Country Representative, UNIDO
A unique opportunity to hear from a cross-section of key industry stakeholders as they share their thoughts and experiences on:
Exploring methods and best practices to:
• Support SMEs digital transformation;
• Encourage industrial sector absorption of the new technologies;
• Advise on the issues of new infrastructure, standards and policies that need to be developed and deployed to correspond to the new technologies.
Outlining developmental programs and policy commendations for:
• Raising awareness on Industry 4.0 opportunities and challenges;
• Advising on available tools and methods for innovation management in industry;
• Encouraging the introduction and application of industry 4.0 forms across the industrial sector;
• Fostering entrepreneurial businesses and startups in industry 4.0 related services and technologies;
• Developing labour competencies in relevance to industry 4.0 use and application
Prof. Amr A. Adly, Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research for
Universities Affairs, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Egypt
Eng. Emad Ghaly, Chief Executive Officer, Siemens Egypt
Dr. Khaled Hashem, President, Honeywell Egypt and Libya
Eng. Mohamed Zaki El-Sewedy, Chairman, Federation of Egyptian Industries (TBC)
Additional panelists to be announced
A TED-style talk highlighting the importance of entrepreneurs and start-ups as a catalyst for innovation and a driver of sustainable and inclusive economic growth as also outlined by SDG 8 – Decent Work and Economic Growth and SDG 9 – Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure. This will further highlight the benefit of applying Industry 4.0 to agriculture to overcome the challenges and achieve SDG 2 – Zero Hunger. How is Egypt doing in driving and supporting innovation and entrepreneurism?
Frank Hartwich, Senior Research and Industrial Policy Officer, United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
Harnessing the potential of 4IR technologies for social impact, sustainable outcomes and the greater societal good.
Namir Hourani, Managing Director and Member of the Organising Committee,
Global Manufacturing and Industrialisation Summit (GMIS)
Hear from up-and-coming start-ups on how they are using 4IR technology to reduce waste, improve productivity, harness inclusive urban development, mitigate environmental impact, and drive positive social outcomes in rural and marginalised communities.
• How are you embracing digitalisation and emerging 4IR technologies in your business?
• Why, in your view, do start-ups play a valuable role in achieving sustainable and inclusive economic growth?
• What are the biggest challenges you are facing in scaling up your business?
• How do you feel that start-ups can be best supported to help contribute to economic growth aligned with the UN SDGs?
Ahmed Abbas, Founder and CEO, Sun City
Ehab Usama, Co-Founder and CEO, Chitosan Egypt
The direct impact smartshop is a high-end learning experience workshop that uses design thinking principles to solve problems involving people and technology within the world of manufacturing. Built around essential elements of design thinking (empathy, ideation & experimentation), GMIS designed a creative problem-solving process that captures the needs of people, explores technological opportunities and provides a home at our Connect events to demonstrate a bias towards action.
Dr. Kai Bruns, Innovation Manager, Global Manufacturing and Industrialisation Summit (GMIS)
Dr. Hoda Mostafa, Associate Professor of Practice and Director, Center for Learning and Teaching, The American University in Cairo
Following the event a summary of proceedings including outputs from the interactive session will be produced and shared with attendees.
For speaking opportunities, please contact:
Ms. Sarah Meredith
Phone : +971558375072
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information and further inquiries about future roadshows, please contact:
Ms. Olga Mamizheva
Phone : +971552060044
E-mail : email@example.com